Natural lawn rehabilitation

This area of Calgary was severely damaged by the 2013 flood.  I had just finished building the owner of these two properties a new brick patio in the back yard at the end of May.  About a year later she contacted me to do something with her front lawns.  Her own and the adjacent property.  The future of the houses were still very much up in the air so she obviously didn’t want to spend a ton of money yet, but she did want it to look like they were still cared for.

It is a little hard to tell the severity of the the grade change in the before pictures, but the mound that is visible by the truck in the third picture is about the size of the hole in the adjacent lawn.  There was next to no topsoil left after the flood and what was there was covered in a layer of river silt.

The machine in the pictures is another contractor doing similar work 2 doors over.

Before

IMG_2612
By the lilac next to the house is a major low spot. The mound of soil in the foreground should do the trick.
IMG_2613
Luckily the old brick work driveways were not severely damaged.
IMG_2614
A view looking the other way.
IMG_2615
The grass is so deep, but  just clinging to whatever nutrients are left in the soil
IMG_2616
This house was still boarded up from 2013  A closer look at the mound of soil we have to work with.  No soil was imported to the site

The actual regrading of the two lawns was too much to do by hand totally, so I had a mutual friend of mine and the property owner come with his skid steer and in an hour he did what would have taken a pack of people all day.  He left me with a pile of what ever topsoil and plant material he could find mixed as best he could and a regraded sub soil.

I then set to work with my shovel and wheel barrel and spread the organics over the two lawns.

During

IMG_2624
Trying to salvage the flower gardens with the regrading. maybe a retaining wall in the future.
IMG_2623
You can see all the construction going on around me as well but the pile of soil that was left to use
IMG_2622
Must be careful around the trees. They set the grade here as we wanted to keep the costs down.

 

 

The next July (2015)

The treatment that I employed here consisted of this:

I stripped the topsoil and organics.  Remember this was a drastic repair I wouldn’t normally recommend this method.  After that I mixed the topsoil and organics and spread over the regraded lawn.  To this I added about 2 yards of compost from a local landscape supplier.  I then seeded with primarily a sheeps fescue.  I had a timed irrigation system that came on twice a day.  I believe I seeded 3 times.  The next Spring and Summer I fed it with some organic fertilizer and 2 batches of compost tea made from my vermi-compost.

20150702_131640
Notice the biodiversity in the lawn.
20150702_131656
Any bare spot that was found while mowing was covered by the dead grass as mulch
20150702_131721
Keeping the lawn extra long the first year helps to bring nutrients up from lower down in the soil profile
20150707_114212
As we mowed the lawns, virtually chopping and dropping vegetation. This allowed the grasses to slowly take over from the thistles and dandelions.
20150707_114223
This was mowed using a reel mower. (like your grandparents used). A bit more work but quieter to use, if kept sharp it leaves the plants healthier, and a nicer look I think.
20150707_114230
Sadly this house could not be saved. The structural damage after the flood was too much for the old house. The cedar in the corner is all that is left, including the neighbours house in the background. So sad.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *