Organic urban land care is more than not using chemicals on your lawn. It doesn’t mean you have to suddenly start loving dandelions, either. Organic land care is about working with nature and the natural systems to create a healthy, balanced, landscape, and therefore finding out why the dandelions are there in the first place.
As a member of the Society for Organic Urban Land Care (SOUL), Eat MY Shrubs strives to meet the Standards set out by the society, therefore some of the information below comes straight from the Society.
The Organic Land Care Standard, below, is a document created to support the successful move toward sustainable land care practices. Click on the links below to have a look at all the wonderful things this society is doing.
This standard aims to:
- provide a clear definition of the practices, and materials used in Organic land care;
- provide guidance to Organic land care practitioners in their decision making;
- raise the awareness of the ecological needs of landscapes;
- provide credibility for Organic land care professionals and finally,
- to protect the public from misleading practices and claims.
As an Accredited Practitioner we:
- Work with natural systems to encourage and enhance biological diversity and native habitats;
- Optimize and maintain the life supporting properties of soil, air and water;
- Use renewable, biodegradable and recycled materials from local sources and minimize waste;
- Consider the wider social and ecological impacts of landscapes and finally,
- The practices and products used to create and maintain them.